On 6th February 1918 the Representation of the People Act was passed that gave about 8.4 million British women the vote. The struggle for the enfranchisement of women was not a uniquely a British situation, but the organising of militant middle class women into a union, knowns as Women’s Social and Political Union (WSPU) was on a more organised scale.
The British WSPU, led by Emmeline Pankhurst, was formed in 1903 with the aim of organising and focussing pressure on the government to give women the vote or suffrage via hunger strikes, breaking windows in prominent buildings and the night-time arson of unoccupied houses and churches.
In 1908 the WSPU adopted an identifying colour scheme of violet, green and white. These colours represented dignity, hope and purity. The colours were seen primarily on banners, flags, rosettes and badges. They were also used as a basis of the colour scheme found in the fashion and clothes of its female members. Matching jewellery was also commissioned by what was largely a comfortably off middle class movement. Sadly, the belief that the WSPU slogan of ‘Give Women Votes’ was coined to coincide with the letters Green White and Violet are unfounded.
In celebration of this historic moment we are offering 50% off our Suffragette coloured 1:12th scale Ladies Pinafore and Jumper pattern for a limited time.
This pattern offer is only valid for 24 hours and expires 9.00 am tomorrow (7th February 2018), when the price will revert to pre-offer price.
The offer is only valid on orders received BEFORE 9.00 am (UK time) on Wednesday 7th February 2018.
To participate in the offer:
· Visit the page for the 1:12th scale Ladies Pinafore and Jumper pattern
· Add the pattern to your cart.
· Add the promotion code VOTE in the ‘coupon code’ box and click ‘apply’. The code is case sensitive.
· The 50% discount will be deducted automatically once the coupon code is entered and applied
NOTES AND EXCLUSIONS:
· Please read the notes on each pattern regarding the purchase of digital goods.
· This offer is limited to one use per customer.
· If the coupon code is not used, the discount will NOT be refunded after purchase.
· The offer does not have any cash value for redemption.
· This coupon code will NOT work on LoveKnitting.
· This offer is exclusive to THIS pattern and the coupon code will NOT work if used to buy any other pattern or eBook.
· The offer expires at 9.00 am Wednesday 7th February 2018 (UK local time).